As some members do not wish their contact information, i .e., addresses, phone numbers, and/or e-mail addresses, to be disclosed, even to other members, or published in membership/mailing lists, or published in documents such as newsletters that are circulated to the membership and/or provided to public entities such as libraries, and
In accordance with the following statement of the Standards for Excellence in its Ethics and Accountability Code for the Nonprofit Sector
In providing its programs or services, a nonprofit should act with the utmost professionalism and treat persons served with respect. Where appropriate, a nonprofit should have policies in place that protect the confidentiality of personal information.
The Colorado Archaeological Society hereby sets the following Policy of Confidentiality with regard to member and donor information.
Contact information about our members is never disclosed to anyone but authorized state officials or IRS personnel, unless approved in advance by members. Contact information about donors and donation amounts are never disclosed unless approved in advance by donors. Such disclosure includes that in publications, e.g., newsletters and membership lists, and on the web site, and such approval must be in writing.
To ensure adherence to the Policy of Confidentiality, each incoming member of the Board and each incoming chapter officer, including President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer,
Membership Chair, and Newsletter Chair, shall be apprised of the Policy and related Procedures and guidelines.
- 1. Obtain signed permission from members on either membership application/renewal forms (similar to the members’ signatures accepting the CAS Code of Ethics) or on separate permission forms.
- If permission has not been given, do not publish names or contact information in a membership/mailing list or a newsletter.
- If permission has not been given, tell any person, including another member of CAS, asking for such information that the member will be contacted and asked to contact the person inquiring.
- When providing the CAS mailing list to another nonprofit organization, e.g., Colorado Preservation Inc., that organization shall be required to sign a Letter of Agreement stating that its personnel will follow the CAS Policy of Confidentiality and that it will not make the list available to anyone else or to any other organization.
- CAS will communicate electronically only with those who have given permission for such communication.
Oct 2006; Approved Apr21, 2007